Saturday 3 August 2013

Cold porridge


It seems to be the consensus amongst runners and cyclists that a big bowl of porridge is the breakfast of choice before a long run, a long day in the saddle, or a race. Since I eat porridge almost every morning whatever I am doing, I find it hard to argue with this position.

However, in the summer I find that I don't always want a bowl of steaming hot porridge, but I still need the slow release carbs to get me through the morning. I came across the solution a few years ago (actually 8 years ago now I check) in a copy of The Times, a newspaper I never read, which had a recipe by Jill Dupleix for "summer porridge". I would give you a link to this as I know it is still on The Times' website, but unless you are willing to pay up, it is safely buried behind their paywall.

The idea is not really original, it is simply another reworking of Bircher muesli, and once you have the basic idea it can be easily customised to meet your preference. My version is very close to the Jill Dupleix version, and the main difference between this version and most of the current versions of Bircher muesli is that the oats are soaked in water and not in fruit juice.

For two medium sized servings, take a cup (250ml) of large oat flakes / porridge oats / jumbo oats (weighing about 100g or 3 3/4 oz) and soak in some water (say 300ml or 10 UK fluid oz) in a large bowl for 20 to 30 minutes. Then drain off the excess water and add the following:

3 generously heaped tablespoons (maybe 70 - 100ml) yogurt - I use full fat Greek style, use low fat if you enjoy being disappointed
1 dessert spoon of runny honey (about 10ml), more if you have a sweet tooth
1 banana - sliced thinly

This is my basic recipe, to which I add some (usually one or two fresh fruit, one nut or seed and maybe one dried fruit) of the following:

Fresh raspberries or strawberries
Fresh or frozen blueberries (I just add them straight from the freezer)
Sultanas or chopped dates or chopped dried apricots
Pumpkin seeds
Chopped nuts - almonds, pecans or brazils
Chopped pear or peach
A grated apple, unpeeled

Mix it all up and put it in two bowls. That's it.

Eat it.






No comments:

Post a Comment