Tuesday 6 August 2013

Post 50 mile malaise


We got round the Lakeland 50 fairly comfortably; we weren't fast, but we finished with some energy to spare. I'm sure we could have gone further, or maybe faster, but I'm not sure that it would have been as much fun.

So the effect it seems to have had on me has come as a bit of a surprise. I'm really tired. And really hungry. All of the time. Even more hungry than I usually am, and craving carbs.

It seems a strange sort of deep tiredness, almost like a fog; the first word that comes to mind is weary, and then maybe torpor...

The tiredness may have been enhanced by my almost sleep free 32 hours volunteering at the LEL (London Edinburgh London 1400Km audax) control in Brampton, and I may be getting a cold, but it feels like more than that.

It may be post-event blues; I had been so focussed on the Lakeland 50 (and so convinced that I was going to struggle to get round) that now that it is over everything seems a bit flat. The downside to a high driven by anticipation, adrenaline and endorphins.

I suppose all that I can do is wait and see what happens next. I'll keep sleeping a lot, and eating a lot of cake, and I'll avoid any hard exercise (and the bathroom scales) for a few more days and then I'll try to take myself in hand...

No comments:

Post a Comment